Pages

Land Of Thai: Koh Chang Edition

Are you ready for this next installment? I said, ARE YOU READEHHHHHHHHHHH...

Okay good. 

You may remember we left you on the cusp of getting on a boat...where? See below. 
Around the right edge of the bay from Bangkok, see Trat? The island off that. Hurrah!



To the boat!



I don't know what they're growing but there were plenty of these tree...farms? All lined up for creepy photos like this.

PRETEND THE DOTS AND SHIT AREN'T THERE, OKAY. CAMERA IS NOW A SENIOR CITIZEN. I THINK CAMERA YEARS ARE LIKE DOG YEARS? MAYBE MORE. MAYBE 13 CAMERA YEARS TO ONE HUMAN YEAR. YES. 

Anyway we got on the boat easily same as any other ferry ever not very interesting...great to see the mountainous island of Koh Chang looming ever closer...


DUN DUN DUN...


The other one coming back. 


Guess who's shit at photos? 

THIS GUY. 







dun dun dun dun dun dun
Landing!

Koh Chang is a tropical, rainforesty island with mini villages connected by paved roads that don't adhere to the traditional way of going up hills by a meandering path up a slow slope and instead just go in a nearly 90 degree line up the side of the goddamn hill. But hey! Tarmac is expensive, you guys I guess.



Fuck you, physics! 




So at this stage of the trip our perception of money had become very skewed from reality, so in our search to find somewhere to sleep ad hoc like we normally do, we rejected several places ($40 a night? You're dreamin'). This meant we, the King and Queen of Cheaparses, decided upon these outhouses beach bungalows in which to spend an adventurous, romantic night.


HOME SWEET QUESTIONABLE-PLUMBING HOME.

I was like "why did I take a photo of a random shirtless man" then I was like oh no it's him it's okay. He looks really weird without a beard, okay. 

BEHOLD, INSIDE:

I know, I know. Keep your pants on, everyone. Okay so there are more holes than walls (and more holes than netting in the actual mosquito net) and a Sad Fan that pushed around hot air solemnly and a mattress-like substance harder than a rock and a toilet that...no I don't remember what the toilet did I think I repressed that bit BUT MY FAVOURITE PART is the sink there...so it looks like a normal sink right with a u-bend pipe underneath right, WRONG it's just a straight pipe that's completely open at the end so you turn the water on and it just...all comes out on the floor at your feet??? WHY THAILAND WHY.
So it was a fun night during which I was bizarrely kind of comfortable? But Mr-I-Love-Camping-And-Adventures-And-Roughing-It stormed and raged the entire night swearing at the mosquito net and the walls and the mosquitos and the Thai government, and upon the daylight swore that his accommodation 'requires walls, minimum'. 

The rest of the evening made up for it a bit with sunsets and drinks and pools ahoy.






Morning!


The breakfast of sleepy, itchy rage. 

On the road again...



Found a cute village that was all one long jetty.




V cute restaurant.

Charming a bargain chess/backgammon set from a saleslady. 

Puppies! This place has everything. Also I managed to use a squat toilet without getting completely naked, hi five!



New favourite hobby: reading on our new beach watching the sunset. 








SURPRISE ELEPHANTS. 









Then went back to that cute restaurant on the jetty. 


We taught ourselves backgammon, which I quite liked. Half strategy, half pure luck. 



A small friend joined us. 




She stole a piece and wouldn't give it back to him.

But she gave it back to me :D 


Hmmmmm several (dozen) cocktails and games of pool later we were heading back to our bungalow but found TEENY TINY POOL. Had to play several (dozen) more games, battling it out with friendly local who was too good and dextrous for my inebriated hands. 



BREAKFAST TIME. 

Down, boy. 

Today: TREE CLIMBING. As in full ropes course type thing. 

HOW DO YOU TURN PICTURES AROUND #probloggerlyf 



So as you can see there are wooden steps and obstacles that go between the trees, including but not limited to ropes, wires, nets, zip lines, swings planks and then all of the above but constantly moving and not really attached to anything HURRAH. 

It was pretty fun yet exhausting but there was one part where you had to scale a three-storey tree with only a zig zag rope dug into it and the guide took one look at me and went 'hmm I think you should skip this one' but because I am 70% comprised of "fuck you, buddy" I went up anyway and yeah okay it took me like half an hour and many tears and screeching and shaking and gnashing of teeth and it was honestly the most formidable physical feat I have ever undertaken but I did it so fuck you, buddy. 


Very sore, we returned to the sunset on our beach, reading.


With friends.




I think this night we decided to try for non-Thai (I know, dodgy) but we ended up finding this Italian restaurant run by this French guy who served legit delicious pizzas? What?? Anyway, amazing. And I beat him at backgammon. 

Until next time...





No comments:

Post a Comment