Pages

Home, Chez Moi



Guess. Guess where I'm typing this. 

Where, where.

Guess, guess. 



From my bed.

Oh, my lordie.



Quite deliriously, exhaustingly, all-consumingly happy right now.



Precisely. 



I had the song "We Are Australian" in my head pretty much all the way from Auckland. 


Actually, here it is, because the lyrics make me happy.








I've lived in Melbourne for 12 years. 

That's a lot of growing up and learning and transforming in one place.

I know it so well - you could blindfold me and shove me out the front door and I could easily walk to my school, my university, my favourite Chinese restaurant. It'd take about 6 hours, but that's not the point.

I've never been away so long. Six months. It feels bizarre to be back in this place I know so well, yet haven't seen for so long either. I don't know what kind of bizarre, just bizarre.

Also, not only have I come home, I've come to the middle-of-hot-Summer home, which it hadn't been for months and months before I even left. So it's like a home I haven't seen in over a year. 

The heat brings out Australia's smell. Smells like home ; from the streets, the bush, my bedroom, my mother. Strange to be confronted with the familiar after so long.

There are things I forgot, too.

I forgot that here you gotta turn the taps off yourself. 

I forgot how my kettle worked.

I forgot the ritual I have to turn on my shower.

I forgot how colourful our money is.

I forgot how damn bright the Summer sun is.

Duhhhh, Tallulah.





Anyway, check out that sexy city:



It's like the photo I took from the plane as I was leaving, which makes me happy.


Maman made a welcoming sign for me, with balloons. She cried into my shoulder, I did on hers. FM hugged me for a long time. We had lunch at my favourite restaurant.

My bedroom was waiting for me - 


With some new, interestingly-spelled decorations.




Also waiting for me was my beautiful puppy - she's very old, but she waited for me. Not gonna waste a  moment of what you have left, baby girl.





So here I am, gonna see my friends soon, gonna start back at work, gonna go back to university. Back to normal! But still a lot of change coming. This is the last year of my degree, for one. 


I haven't decided what I'm going to do with this blog yet - I've had requests to do a few on my home and friends here, and that'll probably happen, but I don't know about after that.



I hope you'll all stay with me, wherever I go and however I go there, and I'll do the same for you.

If you're my Toronto family, I am honoured to have met you, I'll see you as soon as I can, and never stop keeping in touch.

If you're my family a little closer to home (the home I'm at now) - I'll see you even sooner :D


Love, as always.



No comments:

Post a Comment